photo Screenshot2014-03-12at115230AM.png

Pencils Sharpened, It's Time to Learn

11.07.2011

I wake up every morning at 4am. The house is quiet and dark and reminds me of one of my favorite childhood books, The Napping House. I shuffle around the house trying not to run into walls as I usually do haha and smile ear to ear as I see myself once again in my blue scrubs.

I love getting up so early. My days are so long and full. And in the morning there is a part of my metro ride where we come across the Potomac and I watch the sun rise behind the city. The light sparkles across the monuments and I fall in love with this beautiful place again. There is so much that is exciting in this new adventure of school. I am learning how to dress wounds, the pathology of disease, how to administer medications, how to be an asset in curing and how to care for the sick. It is lovely. I couldn't ask for a better way to spend such long days.

The best part of it all is the people I meet every day. They are changing me. I love the smiles on the metro when my eyes meet a strangers, laughing with another stranger as we witness an event, the sweet gesture of gentlemen as they give up their seat or hold the door for me, a loving mother entertaining her child on the train, the list goes on and on. The truth is people are beautiful. They are so easy to love.

I feel so blessed to be out here making friends with people from all walks of life. My friends have lived in a Buddhist Monastery, hitchhiked across the US for a year, balance Jewish faith with school, enjoy the first year of marriage, have 5 kids, learned to drive on a tractor, play the drums, started their own businesses, and sailed lakes and oceans. They are amazing and I am learning what it means to live life fully through their examples. I have such a drive to be the best nurse I can be, to paint, to publish my books, to sing, to travel, to raise a family, to teach, to play the harp, to speak languages, to sky dive, to garden, to do all and everything I possibly can.

I am changed.

No comments :